Something about which I wondered today...


Should I move my political views to a new blog? Check out MisLeading Wisconsin for the latest in Scott Walker's contradictions.



Sunday, September 5, 2010

Hope springs (or falls?) eternal

The school year has started.  It's always a remarkably special time.  I mean, kids are excited, parents seem excited, as are, of course, we teachers.  It's a little like playing the lottery, and everyone hopes they hit the jackpot with the proper fit for a meaningful experience.  I seem to have done just that. 

My second grade students have been great, lo, these three days.  We've sung some songs (I teach them the ABC's backwards), we've done some reading (I'll be reading the book Mr. Popper's Penguins), and we've learned a bit about each other (both personally and academically).  It's been a lot of fun.  Hopefully, that will keep up...

I've got one set of twins (who, for some reason, their mom decided their hair and clothes should be exactly alike), one set of triplets (each, thankfully, with their own look and style), and about 30% of my students are younger siblings of students I have taught previously.  So, obviously, it will be an entire year of me calling kids by the wrong name (which, to be honest, is pretty much par for the course).

But it will be fun.  It will be exciting. I get a chance to know very well twenty-two children, and they get to know me.  It really is a magical time.  And, although their will be some verrrrry long days, and some verrrry difficult challenges, it's a great way to earn a living.

I'm a verrrrry lucky man.

3 comments:

  1. Coool!! sound awesom!! hi by the way! i am going to rite another blog post soon well a poem realy that i have been working on and i want youre opinyon.

    as i lay,
    i say
    i love you
    but to my dismay
    u cant say
    i love you

    i cry at night waiting,
    and hopeing,
    but it is usless.
    i say i love you,
    but you never say it to,

    i gave my heart to u,
    and u riped it in two,
    so as i lay,
    i can not say
    i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting. It really makes a difference when at least one other person reads a post, doesn't it? I left a fairly banal message on your site regarding the poem, but it really is a very emotional, very readable poem. Seriously, nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks you should see mine at least once aweek i have someone to write about now.

    ReplyDelete