Something about which I wondered today...


Should I move my political views to a new blog? Check out MisLeading Wisconsin for the latest in Scott Walker's contradictions.



Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Why Blog?

E.B. White, renowned essayist and author of such children's classics as Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little, said this about essayists, essentially the bloggers of his time: The essayist is a self-liberated man, sustained by the childish belief that everything he thinks about, everything that happens to him, is of general interest.
Well, as far as me starting a blog, the "childish" part is certainly accurate.
Somedays I'll attempt to write something a little deeper, other days will be like wading in a dry creek bed. With some regularity, I'll basically reprint some things I've written over the years, whether it's a Christmas story about a narcissistic cat saving Christmas, or a trip I made to one of Wisconsin's fine tourist sites--perhaps a stop on the Underground Railroad or the mustard museum. Or maybe some non-sequitur of a poem such as:

Weekend at the Impressionists' Exhibit
Monet
today.
Tomorrow?
Pissarro.
I mentioned the dry creek bed, right?
Now to hearken back to E. B. White's definition, I don't necessarily believe that everything I think about is of general interest, but to be honest, I think my wife is a bit tired of hearing me tell it to her as she tries to read or do work on her laptop. And, too, alas, the cat couldn't care less. So, in essence, I guess these writings will act as the technological equivalent of me singing in the shower.
And with that, I start my blog.
My apologies to Mr. White.

1 comment:

  1. Nice start to your new blog. I love the Yogi Berra quotes, probably because they make me feel just a little bit less dumb!

    And yeah, I think the word-across-the-seat of the pants sends the wrong message.

    So...sing away! I love the tune!

    ReplyDelete